My current status in Echo Bazaar. Spoilers, obviously, but I’ll try to black them out—though I don’t know if it’ll work in an RSS reader or LiveJournal subscription. Those tend to like stripping out style tags.
What is Echo Bazaar? It’s a text-based browser game set in a Victorian London that’s been stolen by demons into the Underworld. Literally the Underworld. It’s bizarre and wonderful and there are shrooms.
Anyways, status and spoilery discussion of the related items under the cut.
ArachneJericho, a sagacious and fascinating individual of mysterious and indistinct gender
Watchful: 90 (the max of any stat; that the red bar will never grow again makes me sad)
As you can see, I traded off everything for Watchful stat increases, with token amount in Persuasive to help fulfill the Heart’s Desire ambition.
Current Level of Heart’s Desire Ambition
Obtaining 77 First City coins. These are very, very rare, but there are various ways to go about getting them:
Use up one point of Connected: Masters of the Bazaar, which is expensive indeed, but gets you 50 coins which would otherwise be really, really difficult to obtain. I lost this attribute and don’t know if I’ll get it back. :(
Use your monkey that you got with this Ambition. Unfortunately, your monkey starts to plot vengeance, and this method rarely yields coins. I don’t know what he does when this level of Inciting a Simian Revenge? gets high enough.
Gamble for coins! Requires Connected: Bohemian at least 15, and 70 drops of Prisoner’s Honey. Long odds, but better than the monkey I think; after four tries I got four coins. This is actually a decent rate of return.
If you have Connected: Rubbery Men at least 5 and one piece of Warm Amber (different from the usual amber, actually), you can get some (one?) coins, but I don’t have either.
The Numismatrix will sell you one coin per 111 pieces of Surface Currency. If you buy them at the bazaar, that means each coin costs 6.66 echoes, ha ha. Unfortunately I don’t know of any storylets that yield Surface Currency on a regular basis.
Commission burglaries. Don’t know what happens here. Requires Connected: Criminals at least 10, 100 Moon Pearls.
Arrange for another player with high Shadowy or Persuasive (70+) to steal coins for you. I do not want to do this, because supposedly bad luck will haunt someone who steals these coins without finding or paying for them. And the game is evil enough to do this. :)
I have 58 coins so far. It’s a long way up.
Heart’s Desire also has opportunities to raise Nightmares. It’s a theme, I find, with the Watchful track.
- Archaeologist’s Hat. Gotten in the Forgotten Quarter; quest item. Watchful +1
- Exceptional Hat. For the record, it hasn’t eaten my brains yet. I think.
- Sneak-Thief’s Mask
- Gentleman’s Hat
- Prisoner’s Mask. Needed for a storylet in the Forgotten Quarter that yields serious echo money.
- Dignified Tailcoat
- Black Felt Garments
- Fourth City Rags. Gotten from a card or from the Forgotten Quarter. Watchful +1, and the only piece of clothing to do so.
- Lady’s Lace Gloves. Because I’m particular like that.
- Avid Glove.
- Cracksman’s Mittens.
I feel like I should use air quotes at times here.
- Patent Scrutinzer
- Horsehead Amulet (I dunno, I got two somehow, they’re too cheap to sell at market)
- Skyglass Knife (I don’t use it)
- Shepherd’s Timepiece. Quest item in the Soul Trade storyline, at least, one branch of it.
- Stylish Riding Boots
- Spidersilk Slippers
- Cheerful Goldfish
- Araby Fighting-Weasel. It gives good odds in the Weasel-Fighting Ring, and if you win there you get many things, most importantly to a high Watchful person in the ‘Neath, Nightmares reduction.
- Sulky Bat. Unlocks a card that increases Connection: The Game, useful for Watchful people.
- Malevolent Monkey
- Cardsharp Monkey. Quest animal in Heart’s Desire Ambition.
- Reprehensible Lizard. You can get Sulky Bats with him in the Carnival. Otherwise, hasn’t been useful.
Companion no longer with us for undisclosed reasons: Dazed Raven Adviser. It unlocks a card that can advance various minor attributes. I need to get a new one. They can help you get back from That River.
Rooms above a Gambling Den.
Admirer of Art. Mainly this means he comes back asking for money all the time. Sigh. And I am a Magnanimous sop.
Admirer of Beauty. Mainly this means that when her other suitors have problems with each other, I get to clean up. Not sure why I don’t pine after her like I do after the artist. Hmm.
Scholar of the Correspondence. Level 5, though it doesn’t show on the status page. You don’t want to know what I had to go through to get that. It involved an awful lot of laudanum and purging of Appalling Secrets.
The ones that matter the most—
Connected: Bohemian 17. Mainly so I can gamble for First City coins.
Connected: The Great Game 14. So I can up Watchful; used up a lot of this.
Connected: The Constables 29. Yes, I am their pet. Useful for upping Watchful something serious.
Connected: The Church 9. To up Persuasive, and I forget otherwise.
Connected: Hell 6. I actually want to get rid of this. Also, I made a very bad decision in the Forgotten Quarter that netted me a lot of it, but otherwise I burned it to increase Watchful.
Connected: Revolutionaries 15. To up Dangerous.
Connected: Society 17. To up Persuasive.
Connected: The Docks 5. To up Dangerous. (I love increasing stats through burning connected stats. It means you can concentrate on one stat while nominally raising the others.)
Connected: The Orient 7. Burned up a lot of this to up Shadowy.
The Forgotten Quarter. I used to want to obtain access to the Flit so I can spy on the Topsy King and increase Watchful, but… er… well, no more Watchful for me.
Current Nightmare exploration: Is Someone There? 15. Oh my, the laudanum. And still not finished, as far as I can tell. It also sometimes gives me Memories of Light. I cannot sell them. I imagine something unlocks as soon as I get enough of these.
Finder of Heiresses
Ascending the Reliables list of Mr Pages 3
Occasional Guest at Mr Wines’ Revels 1 The wine he gives you reduces Nightmares something serious.
Associating with Radical Academics 3
Hosting an Inconvenient Aunt 2
Involved in the Soul Trade 6
Shepherd of Souls 5
Trail of the Cheesemonger 1
I like the Watchful storylines and challenges, but appear to have run out of a large part of them, probably because I spent a lot of time in the Forgotten Quarter getting money to buy stuff, and that inevitably raises Watchful.
Things to do, in no particular order:
1. Overgoat! Just because. I’ve wanted one forever, but I’d have to save for like a year or something at the moment. Sadness.
2. Pursue spying on the Topsy King in case it yields cash so I can get an Overgoat.
3. Get enough Prisoner’s Honey (40,000 drops!) for rooms at the Royal Bethlehem.
4. Heart’s Desire Ambition.
5. Explore the lands of Nightmare.
6. Go insane. Very, very insane.
7. Shepherd of Souls sub-storyline of the Soul Trade storyline.