My general mindset is not all that much improved from yesterday, but it is improved a little bit. I’m working on the Snowflake Method (step 3) and realizing that my characters suck.
1. My main character’s motivation and goal look the same. This is not a good idea and may mean that I’ve got the motivation screwed up, or rather, haven’t figure it out clearly in a way that differentiates it from a concrete goal.
2. My other main character’s goal may cleave too close to the other’s, or at least it may be smaller in scope. That makes me depressed.
3. At least I’m fairly clear about the antagonist’s motivations, arc, etc.
4. My characters suck in other ways that aren’t clear to me; personality is probably the highest on the list, and most lethal.
Maybe I just suck at fiction. I can spool out a cool idea, but after that things fall apart. Maybe I need to let the characters stew a little longer.
Three good things, right.
1. Beyond Heaving Bosoms was quite entertaining.
2. I’m three books ahead of my reading goal on GoodReads.
3. I have Manhunting to look forward to.
My soul is otherwise crushed, and I hate myself for so many things.